Thursday, May 22, 2008

Top Chef - Dale gone

For those of you who don't know me, which right now is pretty much everyone, I am a huge fan of Top Chef. After last nights ridiculous travesty, which at this moment, I have not yet let go of, I feel the need to blog about it.

Last night in a stunning, atrocious decision, the judges (including one of my heroes, Anthony Bourdain) kicked Dale off in the Restaurant Wars challenge, instead of Lisa (clearly incompetent) and Spike (sleazy). Dale was easily one of the top four Chefs, Richard of course being the top dog. Lisa has been on the bottom and has been producing increasingly lackluster food. Her miso bacon was good, but that was like 5 weeks ago. Her bitter, annoying attitude and inability to execute dishes properly should expidite her removal from the show. The most annoying thing about her is not being accountable for her work (much like a certain boss I've recently had). I can't use my utter contempt for her as reason to kick her off the show, but it does make me hate her with a passion.

Spike, on the other hand, has made it to this point by not being the worst cook every week. He always produced mediocre food, which results in him always being on the bottom, but never gets kicked off because of some other egregious violation by another chef. He cooked no food this week. After stewing (no pun intended) over the results for the last day, I have come to the realization that Spike and Lisa colluded together to get Dale kicked off. I think both realized that he was clearly a better chef, and that this might be the only chace for one of them to get into the finals. This is why Spike backed Lisa when it was clear that Lisa's ass should have been shipped home. Both her dishes sucked this week, and she was pouring herself a beer (which she was clearly going to drink immediately, even though she denied it) before service had ended. Dale was totally right to give her shit about it. Who the fuck opens a beer when their not going to drink it right away? It's not like Pabst needs to breathe for 5 minutes before imbibing.

That's so fucking idiotic. The judges need to monitor better what goes on in the kitchen so that when Lisa throws out some bullshit like "someone fucked with my rice" they can see that Lisa clearly fucked up. Sucks for Dale, since everyone tried to peg him as being like Hung, but he clearly wasn't trying to be. The only people that really had a problem with him was Lisa, and maybe Antonia, but I suspect that was because of Lisa's shit talking and Dale's blowup. I bet in the final that Richard's first pick for Sous Chef will be Dale, or maybe Stephanie if she gets eliminated. I believe everytime they worked together, Dale and Richard have won the elimination challenge. I don't think anyone will really want to pick spike or Lisa over Dale or Andrew if it comes down to it.

No comments: